Wednesday 6 July 2011

AKA drops his much anticipated album


Kiernan Forbes, popularly known as AKA, will release his hotly anticipated debut solo album, Alter Ego, at the end of this month.


Featuring hip hop heavyweights such as HHP, Tumi, Amu, Khuli Chana and Pro, as well as top comedian Loyiso Gola, the 17-track album justifies the long wait hip hop fans have endured for the rapper’s full length work. It has taken the flamboyant wordsmith over six years to release a solo album, since starting out in 2004 with a group called Entity. The 23-year-old star says this has helped him to build a solid foundation for his blossoming career.

“I’m a perfectionist; I had to satisfy myself first. I felt that I had to grow up a bit and I went to study, I got a job and I quit later when I knew that I was ready to resume my musical career.”

AKA, who has worked with almost every noteworthy name in the local hip hop scene, adds that the album is “personal, and people will get a better opportunity to understand me and my music. In my opinion, it’s the best SA hip hop album of the year.”

The offering is entirely produced by top music production crew IV League, and its lead single, “Victory Lap”, was an instant chart success early this year, topping Metro FM Charts for five consecutive weeks. Having been actively involved in the production of the album, AKA says he is confident that fans will be impressed by his sparkling form and sincerity. “We never make music with the goal of "making a hit". We just do the best we can, and our best is pretty good,” he adds.

 


Preparing fans for the album, the rapper recently released a music video for “All I Know”, one of the most enjoyable songs on the disk. In addition to this song, AKA says fans should “also look forward to my favourite songs "Snakes And Ladders" and “Bang" (featuring Khuli Chana).”
As a member of the highly prolific IV League, AKA has produced hits for a host of local acts, including Proverb, Maggz, JR and Loyiso Bala. At the age of 16 the self-proclaimed “new kid on the block” was nominated for a prestigious Kora Award and in 2009 won a Hype Award for Best Newcomer.  (MIO)

No comments:

Post a Comment